Sunday, January 25, 2009

State of Bulldog Sports

Let's rewind to one year ago. How great was it to be an MSU fan? We had just come off a stellar postseason run in baseball that took us all the way to Omaha. Our football program had its first winning season since 2000 accompanied with a Liberty Bowl victory. Our basketball team was on a 9 game winning streak, starting 5-0 in the SEC (the last of which was a complete thrashing of the rebels). Times had seemingly never been better. Fast forward past basketball season.

The agony began with the first losing season for MSU Baseball in over 30 years. We saw the departure of a legend in head coach Ron Polk. I admire that man. I have met him several times and he has greated me with a handshake and smile each of them. Coach Polk had a great run here and I was sad to see it end, but, I along with thousands of Bulldog Faithful realized that it was finally time for him to go. Baseball season was a disappointment. The one sport that we had always looked forward to through those tough football and basketball years had for once, let us down.

Throughout the summer, there was a buzz for football. I was jacked for it. I just new we would be bowling again, my expectations weren't as high as some, but I did predict at least a 7 win season. Well, I was wrong. It started with the loss to La Tech. Yes, Louisiana's Bulldogs. I honestly believe that that loss set the tone for how the season was going to go. The players were knocked down and never really got back up. We were embarrassed by the rebels in the Egg Bowl and I knew it was finally time for a change. Croom was now out. Rightfully so. The man did basically all he could do. He just was not an Xs and Os coach. He had no clue on offense. Look at our statistical rankings in that category. In a word, Pathetic. In a few words, Piss Poor. We were let down by our coaching staff, not our team. More on that at a later date.

So on to basketball. We knew it was going to be a rebuilding year, somewhat. Still, basketball has been our bread and butter for this entire decade. I was upset by the early season losses to the likes of Charlotte and San Diego. Those are inexcusable losses for a program of our stature that plays in the best conference in all the land. Still, though, this team has rebounded nicely. This group of young guys is off to a 4-1 start in conference play and is in a two-way battle for the West Crown. I credit that to the wonderful coach we have in Rick Stansbury. His teams drastically improve throughout the season under his guidance. He teaches all these young talented players we have how to play together. This team can only get better, and while they may not be great this season, next year's team has the ability to be a Top 10 contender.

So you have it. The state of our three major sports teams at the moment. Well, sort of. There is a very good outlook for the future in all three sports. I will soon get to that. It's time for supper so I gotta jet.

Oh, and even though times may have been tough over the last 9 months or so, remember, things could be worse. You could be a rebel.

No comments:

Post a Comment