Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's been a long day. And tomorrow will be even longer because I have to be up at 6 a.m. Somehow though, I find myself in my dorm near midnight thinking about what I have to say today. No, this isn't gonna be my Greg Byrne entry. That one is going to take some time and I just don't have it tonight. Maybe this weekend I'll have time to sit down, collect some thoughts, and blog about my feelings toward our new A. D. Tonight I'll take a look at how we're stacking up in basketball this season. Right now, we are tied atop the SEC West at 4-1 with LSU. Technically, we are in 2nd because they did beat us. Let's look ahead to this weekend's matchup. We play host to the rebels of Mississippi. A team that has lost 3 of 5 starters for the entire season, all to ACL injuries. For the first time in history, I actually feel a little sorry for the poor rebels. I have never known a team to lose that much and still be competitive. It is my belief that if the rebels had those three guys then they would run away with the SEC West, and possibly win the overall SEC Championship. Chris Warren, their speedy point guard, may be the best at his position in the SEC. He alone would have made that team a favorite to win the West. Anyway, injuries happen, and the teams that overcome them are the truly great ones. Mississippi just doesn't have the depth on their bench to overcome the loss of three starters.  Anyway, as far as the game on Saturday, the only major contributer from last year's team that is playing this year is former Florida transfer David Huertas.  The guy has a pure stroke from behind the arc and if he catches fire, it could be a long day for us.  I honestly feel like this will be a big win for us, though.  Mississippi lacks the fire power that we have.  They have nobody that can match up with Jarvis down low.  It will be virtually impossible for them to score in the paint, unless they play smart and get Jarvis in foul trouble early.  That is really their only chance.  The game is in Starkville and will probably be the biggest and rowdiest crowd this year for us.  Especially considering the fact that I'm sure some creative State students will have signs or something big planned for estranged rebel coach Andy Kennedy.  More on that in a minute though.  We have four starters that can all handle the rock and all shoot the lights out on certain nights, let's hope Saturday is one of those.  Plus we have sufficient depth to really put it on them.  I expect us to rain the threes on them.  At least 10.  I figure Ravern will go off again and have 20 or so.  Barry (Randy), Phil, and Swat will all be in double figures.  Bost will have 10 assists.  Ro will hit a 3, Benock will hit 2 threes.  Basketball is just simply a game of matchups.  We have a favorable one against these rebels.  I don't see a position on the floor where they are stronger than us.  Without their three injuries, it would be different.  
Now, if our shooters come out cold and stay cold then we could be in for a long day.  If Randy and Ravern aren't hitting anything early on then that evens the playing field.  The key to this game is putting the rebels away early, much like LSU did to them at the Sad Pad a few weeks back.  If we let them hang around then we may be in for a rude awakening.  Much like what happened to Kentucky the other night.  Kennedy is a great basketball coach and he will have his bunch ready to play.  We are the better team, without a doubt.  But, if one or two of their shooters get hot then they could very well be in  the game late (see Shan Foster last year).  And we all know that when we are playing basketball the game is never really over because of our inability to hit free throws through the years.  Nonetheless, I still expect us to play great basketball Saturday.  We have had a week off, we are playing on our home court, and the Hump will be rocking.
As for Andy Kennedy.  What a situation he has himself in.  Whether he punched the cabbie or not, what was this clown doing out at 3 in the morning the night before a game?  He was at a bar for God's sake!  What kind of example was he setting for his team?  The guy is a great basketball coach, look at the turnaround he has done to the rebels pathetic program.  Still, though, I wouldn't want an alcoholic leading the basketball team of my school.  Kennedy just can't get rid of his ways from the old days under Bob Huggins at Cincy.  You have to start partying old man.  It's time to be responsible.  I mean, apparently your sex life suffered as pointed out by your wife's lawsuit on the cabby.  Wow, man!  That's embarrassing.  Anyway, I hope I don't see you out on the town Saturday after your blowout loss.  I know that it is likely I might see you at the Bin or at Rick's, but I hope not.  I hope you've learned your lesson Mr. Kennedy.  

On Deck: Recruiting Wrap-up, Baseball Preview

No comments:

Post a Comment