Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Passing the time, getting ready for football season...

I was laying around the house the other day and I realized how I've neglected my blog for quite a while. Well, I figure with football season approaching fast, I need to get off my lazy ass and actually write something. I'll get in to football talk soon. As for now, how bout a little something to pass the time. An entry on my favorite sports teams. Sound boring? OK... I don't really give a rat's ass. Read something else.

MLS- Chicago Fire
English Premier- Manchester United
FCSpanish Premera- FC Barcelona
Serie Italiano- AC Milan

Ok, so I couldn't give two ***** about soccer unless the USA is playing or the MSU Ladies are playing.

As for the REAL sports. Gotta love my Atlanta Braves. Most underachieving franchise in the history of the game. Honestly. 14 straight playoff appearances and only ONE World Series ring. Grew up watching them on WTBS. True beauty watching Maddux carve up the opposition on the corners, Glavine use a power/finesse approach, and Smoltzy and Wholers blow guys away. Not to mention home grown guys through the Atlanta farm system like Javy Lopez, Ryan Klesko, Chipper Jones, Mark Lemke, Andruw Jones, Rafael Furcal, etc. More recently, when I was coming into manhood, my dad gave both me and my brother hats of the two new expansion teams. My brother got an Arizona Diamondbacks hat, and me, well let's just say I got screwed. Up until last year that is. I have cheered for the Rays since 1998. Enduring 10 consecutive losing seasons only to see the magic that happened last year. They did it the right way too. Building from the bottom up. No one year wonder teams like the Marlins and Dbacks did. They built a franchise. One that now, will be competing with the Yanks and Sox for quite a while.

NFL- Grew up a huge 49er fan. Mom was in love with Joe Montana, so naturally, I sided with her. Lived a great decade with Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, even Terrell Owens leading the 9ers to the playoffs, year after year. I liked the Saints a little bit bc of Pops. But once Aaron Brooks was crowned the Savior of the Franchise, I hated them. Haslett was an idiot. After the front office got smart, I decided to come back to the Saints. Moreso because of the hard times that have hit San Fran. But watching that magical run the year after Katrina was special for this whole part of the country.

NBA- Not that I care too much, but I like the Dallas Mavericks. Dampier is a major reason why. Plus I think Mark Cuban is a genius. And they are the only regional team worth a dang. I love to watch the Cavs though. No player in the League today even compares to King James. Not even Kobe. I'm sorry, no contest.

NHL- Who cares? Really? When it does come time to decide the winner of Lord Stanley's Cup, I always check to see if the Ducks are playing. I guess thats because I grew up watching Gordon Bombay take a bunch of misfits, put a Duck jersey on them, and suddenly they were winners. Therefore, making me a follower of the Anaheim Ducks at Los Angeles. I also enjoy watching Sid the Kid and the Pittsburgh Penguins. I still consider the Miracle on Ice the single greatest moment in the history of sports. It gives me chills just thinking about what our countrymen did on that frozen pond in Lake Placid that February. And that upset wasn't even for the Gold Medal.

Tennis- The only non-team sport where I dont cheer for individuals just on their nationality. I cheer for the women based on sexuality, or rather how good they look on the court. Always cheer for Miss Maria Sharapova because the more she wins, the more I get to watch her. As for the men's side, A Rod and James Blake are can't misses nowadays. The only decent American players with a shot at winning any of the Grand Slams. I do, however, respect Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Those two are so far ahead of the rest of the field. Rarely does anyone ever come close to beating these guys. No one beats Nadal on clay and Federer was ranked #1 for what? 5 straight years?

Golf- Love Tiger. He's, plain and simple, the best. No one compares. He works harder than anyone ever has. He has more mental toughness than I could ever dream of having. I can't hit a drive straight if a bird is tweeting in the background, much less with $2 million on the line. Plus, I want to see the best of my generation beat the best of my father's generation. And when Tiger gets number 19, I will call my dad and say "sorry, time for Jack to step aside". Other than Tiger, I love watching Lefty. Great guy. Fan favorite. Family man. When he finally broke through and won that elusive major at Augusta National, I jumped up and down, much like the entire gallery on the 18th that day. One of the greatest moments I have witnessed in golf.

Nascar- Again, who cares? I was into it once upon a time. But since then, have found much better things to do on Sundays than watch cars go around in circles for 3 or 4 hours. Always was and Earnhardt fan though. Now cheer for Little E because I'm loyal and follow bloodlines. Still, don't really care, though.

I'll try to keep this thing up a little more often. Don't hold me to that though. I have much more important things on my mind. Like my own golf game. Or the new lady in my life. Or getting ready for the 12 credit hours I'll be taking this fall. Sounds like a lot right?

No comments:

Post a Comment